The Official Newsletter of the Loree Lough Site
Loree’s Easy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Butter Mints
- ½ cup butter cold, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups powdered sugar (plus a little extra for rolling)
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- food coloring (I don’t use any; I prefer the old-fashioned ‘cream colored’ look)
- Beat butter chunks at low speed until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time. Increase speed to medium-high and mix until sugar and butter are thoroughly combined. Consistency should be like grated parmesan cheese.
(Tip: If powdered sugar puffs out of bowl while mixing, drape a damp paper towel over the exposed areas of the bowl.)
- Add milk and peppermint oil, and beat until smooth. Consistency should now be like thick frosting, but not too sticky.
- If you’re adding food coloring, divide the butter mint dough into bowls—one for each color you’ll use. You won’t need much—a tiny drop is plenty!—and knead it in with your hands. (As you work through the next steps, cover any exposed dough with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too fast.)
- Dust a flat surface with powdered sugar, then dust your hands with it, too. Scoop out a ping pong ball-sized of the butter mint dough and roll into a log, approximately ½” in diameter. (Sprinkle with powdered sugar as necessary to lessen any stickiness.)
- Using a sharp knife, cut ½” pieces from the log.
- Repeat with each color, and place cut candies in a single layer on a parchment papered cookie sheets.
- Allow candies to dry at room temperature, uncovered, for 8-12 hours.
- Once candies are firm, store in an airtight container, layered with waxed or parchment paper.
- Keeps for up to 2 weeks. (But don’t worry; they won’t last that long!)